This simple Honey Soy Tilapia is unbelievably delicious.
The flavors are light and fresh and fantastic! This quick marinade comes together with a flavor punch and cooks up with a beautiful sear. Serve over jasmine rice, garnish with green onions and a side of steamed broccoli for a delicious and healthy week-night dinner.
Tilapia is a mild white fish that is easy to cook and super affordable, which makes this recipe a budget win. Getting a good sear on this dish is simple. Add oil to a hot cast-iron skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes then carefully flip so the fish does not tear apart.
The flavors, oh the flavors! Soy, honey, lime and garlic pair so perfectly in this Asian infused dish.
How to prepare the marinade:
1. First clean your fish. Citrus juice such as lemons or limes not only disinfect but also add great flavor. Cut your lime in half and squeeze some of the juice on your tilapia. Rub the lime pulp and juice on each piece and place inside a zip lock bag.
2. Add your remaining ingredients: garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey and pepper. Soy sauce is high in sodium so I do not add additional salt, it’s not necessary.
3. Refrigerate the fish at least 20 minutes to allow all those flavors to come together. In the meantime you can start to prepare you side dish of choice. We love to serve this fish with rice and a veggie such as steamed broccoli. You can find delicious low G.I rice that is a healthier alternative to traditional jasmine rice. Low GI rice is approved for diabetics and is a slow burning carb.
To easily pan sear your Honey Soy Tilapia, follow these simple steps:
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, we love using a cast iron skillet for this dish but feel free to use your favorite pan. You want relatively high heat so that the fish sears in the oil instead of absorbing it.
- Place the tilapia gently in the cast iron skillet and leave it alone for 4 minutes.
- Gently flip the fish fillets and finish cooking on the remaining side. This will take anywhere from 3-4 minutes depending on the thickness of the tilapia fillet.
This 30-Minute meal has restaurant appeal – minus the high price tag! Fresh, light and full of flavor. I hope you give it a try and enjoy!
Honey Soy Tilapia
This simple Honey Soy Tilapia is unbelievably delicious. The flavors are light and fresh and fantastic. This quick marinade comes together with a flavor punch and cooks up with a beautiful sear. Serve over jasmine rice, garnish with green onions and a side of steamed broccoli for a delicious and healthy week-night dinner.
- 4 tilapia fillets (fresh or thawed if frozen)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
Fish Prep & Marinade
- Quickly clean the fish by halving your lime and rubbing the fish over with juice and pulp from the lime.
- Whisk together honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, lime juice, garlic & onion powder
- Combine fish and marinade in a zip lock bag and set aside for a minimum of 20 minutes.
Cooking The Fish
- Add 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil to a cast-iron skillet or your favorite saute pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add tilapia fillets and cook untouched for 3-4 minutes.
- Gently flip the tilapia and continue to cook an additional 3-4 minutes, your fish should have a nice sear on it.